Tuesday, January 27, 2009

I'll have the Grilled Cheese...



We say it all the time. We might be a the fanciest seafood restaurant downtown, yet we still order the grilled cheese from the kids menu. Is it an addiction? Maybe. It's more of an obsession. What could be better than two pieces of bread, bonded by melted cheese then gently fried in butter? Hello!?


Everyone has their #1. My friends used to challenge me to grilled cheese cook-offs. Whether it was so that I would feed them or that they actually thought my sandwiches were the best, I'll never know.

Our mother's sandwiches got us hooked initially. She uses white bread, deli American cheese and margarine in a heavy, small frying pan. She melts the margarine in the pan, then places the sandwich in.

Our father's mother used white bread, Land 'O Lakes cheddar and real butter. She buttered the bread before putting into the pan. She was usually smoking while cooking as well, which may or may not have changed the outcome?

Our mother's mother made hers similar to our mother does, but I believe she used Velveeta? Kim will have to confirm that.

I make several versions of my mother's grilled cheese and have added the Panini Grill into my routine. I also typically add Dorito's into the melted cheese on my sandwich.

We will be using this blog to review the grilled cheeses we have in our travels. Eat up!

Allison & Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment