Friday, January 30, 2009

Home-made




One our snow day, I decided to make my own grilled cheese. I make mine probably the same way as my sister. I use white bread, Kraft American singles, and ICBINB. My favorite part of making grilled cheese is the second time you put the butter in the pan. For some reason it makes me feel like a "real" cook when I take the pan off the stove and swish the butter around the pan. Anyway, this grilled cheese was wonderful!

I did want to add to my sister's post about the grilled cheeses from our family. Grandmom used to use Velveeta cheese slices and real butter. She would actually make mine with American cheese because I didn't like the velveeta very much. Whenever I come across a grilled cheese that has been made with butter, I think of her. I'm not fond of grilled cheeses that have obviously been buttered before it went in the pan. Too soggy. I like to have a crunch when I bite into it. I do enjoy grilled cheese that is made on a sandwich machine. You know, where you put in your sandwich and the machine grills it. It comes out kind of flat but when you bite into it... oooo, the cheese just flows out! Doritos are the perfect grilled cheese mate, either in the grilled cheese or on the side. If I eat it with Doritos, I must cut my grilled cheese at an angle due to the triangle shape. They fit better :)


3 comments:

  1. Aah, the cultural differences of grilled cheese. Here in the UK we do them under the grill or broiler rather than in a pan with butter. When my Canadian friend did one like the way you explain I though she was crazy! But now I like it. You must try Welsh Rarebit sometime, a variation on grilled cheese that is yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. kim, by the way, i'm cheddar on wheat with real butter. white bread has too much sugar in it to me now!

    ReplyDelete